Saturday, January 17, 2009

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

All of a sudden, I am thinking of a bunch of "oldies" songs:

"I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be ..."

Looking at my children, how I can not marvel at God's creation and His amazing love? How can I not give thanks and feel blessed. How can anyone look at a new born baby and believe we are a product of some random evolution? Every part of our body so perfectly designed, so beautiful. I remember holding my new born baby for the very first time, and this rush of intuitive love just rushed into my heart. The minute the nurse handed him to me, as I held him, he stopped crying instantly, slowly opened his eyes, and beamed me the most amazing smile, showing his two cute little dimples. At that moment, I felt no pain, no worry, just pure joy. I couldn't stop but kept kissing him. Filled with amazement, felt so blessed. My children, they are truly gifts in my life.


Looking at my children grow, it really gives me a chance to "grow" once more. Things that I missed as a child, I get a "second chance" to try them out. It's amazing how I remember my childhood (feelings in particular) so vividly. I get to learn to sing children's songs I never knew before, I get to play with toys I wanted but never got before, I get to watch the cartoons I never watched as a child, I get to read fairy tales I never read before. But better, I get to relive my childhood with my own children!! How amazing is that?!

As I "relive" my childhood this second time, I am starting to understand my parents more. I understand why things happened the way they did and the difficulties my parents faced before. At the same time, I understand my children too when they did what seems to be "bad things" in other people's eyes. I remember myself doing and acting the same way as a child too.


Looking at my children, I sometimes wish I can just think and act like them, in such simplicity, with such pure heart. Whatever they want, they just point to it and let you know they want it. When they are sad, they cry, when they are happy, they laugh. Very simple, very direct. Sometimes when my daughter, Emma cries, I tell her to stop crying, but you know what, I shouldn't tell her to stop. I didn't before, when she was younger, I used to just hold her close to me until she stops. What happened? As we grow, people expect us to hide our feelings, is that what it is? We made our children complex, don't we? We should really let them be children while they can still "be children".

No comments:

Post a Comment